PAINESVILLE, OH (December 28, 2017) – A pair of unused and aging structures located behind the Crossroads Early Childhood Services (ECS) building at 1083 Mentor Avenue in Painesville (originally part of the old Colony Lumber Yard) have been brought down thanks to $38,510 in funding from the Lake County Land Reutilization Corp or the Land Bank. The demolition of these structures, mainly metal outbuildings, was part of a renovation plan that was developed for the property when purchased by Crossroads’ in 2010. The demolition which began in November was completed just before the holiday.
Crossroads’ Chief Executive Officer, Mike Matoney stated, “We are tremendously grateful for John Rogers and the Land Bank for its efforts and support of this project. It would have been difficult to finish without the Land Bank’s help.”
Land Bank Executive Director, John Rogers stated, “Projects like these are well within the scope of the Land Bank’s mission to strengthen communities and improve the quality of life for Lake County residents. When we can help remove blighted structures and ultimately return property back to a more productive use, everyone benefits. And, given the mission of Crossroads and their service to others, our efforts here help Crossroads to focus their resources on helping others and enhancing the lives of many!”
Discussions as to what to do with the property are ongoing, but one idea is to enlarge Crossroads’ existing playground area. Early Childhood Services (ECS) has been operating out of the old Colony Lumber showroom since it’s renovation in 2010. ECS provides programs for pregnant women and families with children from birth to age three.